I know that podcasts are the hip new thing, but I have to admit: I just can’t seem to get into them.
I know, I know: I probably haven’t found the right one or I’m simply not giving them a fair shot. But every instance that someone talks about listening to a podcast—while doing housework or on a long drive—I choose music every time. My choice probably stems from my days pretending to be a radio DJ and making mix tapes with my younger brother, but I also think that music is just different. Podcasts feed my head; music feeds my soul.
Enter our Mix Tape series. Whether you need a break from podcasts or whether you want to be inspired by a new mix of soul-quenching tunes, follow along. I can’t promise the abrupt and screechy transitions that would have accompanied the songs on my original mix tapes, but I can promise songs that, at some point, will be exactly what your heart and soul are looking for.
Up first is a peppy but chill 70s playlist. It’s perfect for summer road trips or simply driving with the windows rolled down. Good thing we have a month of summer left to do just that.
Listen to this 70s playlist on Spotify.
70s Summer Playlist Track List
- “Have You Ever Seen the Rain?,” Creedence Clearwater Revival
- “Bennie and the Jets,” Elton John
- “Straight On,” Heart
- “Piano Man,” Billy Joel
- “Dreams,” Fleetwood Mac
- “The Chain,” Fleetwood Mac
- “December, 1963 [Oh What a Night!],” Frankie Valli & The Four Seasons
- “The Passenger,” Iggy Pop
- “Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl),” Looking Glass
- “Rich Girl,” Daryl Hill & John Oates
- “Best of My Love,” The Emotions
- “Stayin’ Alive,” Bee Gees
- “Midnight Train to Georgia,” Gladys Knight & The Pips
- “Me and Bobby McGee,” Janis Joplin
- “Grease,” Frankie Valli
- “American Pie,” Don McLean
- “Sultans of Swing,” Dire Straits
- “Let It Be,” The Beatles
What music are you listening to this summer?